Every year in the month of April, Prime Rehabilitation Services and Mobile Therapy Services, take the time to celebrate Occupational Therapists and how they change lives. Although, every year is important – this year is a very unique year as we acknowledge our Occupational Therapists (essential workers) who provide much-needed therapy during a patient’s recovery from the COVID-19 epidemic.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for all that you do. In these challenging times, it can be reassuring to know that all your efforts do not go un-noticed. Know that we will get through this, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, it is there, maybe further in the distance than we would like it is there.
To help all OT practitioners, educators, and students navigate through this uncertain time; here are a couple of ways to provide effective treatment while maintaining much needed social distancing:
- Here are strengthening exercises using equipment you may have at home – Can be done with the patient in their room
- Squeeze clip with each finger 5 times while having the patient count out loud
- Always explain the purpose of each exercise
- Wrist and forearm strengthening using a towel horizontally or;
- Fold the towel, and squeeze in a vertical position 20 – 30 times on each side
- 20 – 30 times each direction
- Make the patient count out loud or count for them
- Gather the towel and then release 10 times for a good finger workout
- Vertical towel twists using backward and forward motion to strengthen wrists and fingers